Saturday 20 August 2011

Trial and Error....

Can it be true that most plans fail because we don't even seriously try them?

I was thinking of this in the shower just now, when I had just hung the bathroom mirror on the wall....
I remembered my housemate complaining that it would be so much better if the mirror would be hanging on the wall, while it was, until now, standing on the shelf above the sink.... as, I assume, it has been for a long time before I moved in....
Now, I had a look at the wall and the mirror for about 2 minutes when brushing my teeth and I saw a screw sticking out the wall... turning over the mirror, I saw a hole (to put a screw or nail) for suspension.... I put the hole to the screw, tried if it was hanging securely and now it's hanging on the bathroom wall, safe and solid.... Not at all difficult... Now, this is not to boast that I am crafty, but merely to express my wonder at the fact that people often don't even seem to TRY ideas they have, or taking steps to achieve what they want.... this bathroom mirror is just a small and silly example, but if you take this line of thought, and copy-paste it to different (bigger, more important) areas of life, how many times do we get an idea, or a wish for something or some situation and do we not even get to trying how to get it/there because we kill the idea prematurely because we perceive it to be too difficult, too hard, too absurd, too scary, too different?  This is not even trial and error... we can learn from mistakes and errors made.... in my opinion, and this is perhaps just a personal wake-up call, (which does not mean I will always apply this knowledge from now on) the greatest error is not even trying....

I'm looking forward to your thoughts, if you wish to share them!

o_d

No comments:

Post a Comment