Wednesday 13 July 2011

I do wanna be me

When in 2003 Type O Negative delivered the album Life is Killing Me, I was almost immediately struck by the song "I don't wanna be me". I liked it beyond all the other songs on the album. Not because the direct lyrics, but because the train of thought it caused me.... the chorus tells us:

"I Don't Wanna be
I Don't Wanna be me
I Don't Wanna be me anymore"

(Type O Negative)

The the song is accompanied by a clip that is, in my opinion, brilliantly done. It shows a normal working class man, coming home from work, and changing into all kinds of costumes, impersonating all kinds of idols. Yet, throughout the song, he does not manage to be satisfied with any of his efforts to become someone he seems to want to be...
I find this a striking symptom certain of modern day societies, in my opinion, a rather apt observation by the men of Type O. People seem to have so many influences, that they have trouble choosing, and trouble deciding who they want to be.... besides that, people do not learn to realise and accept simply Being who they are, and working from there.... Hearing this song, and seeing this clip, the unhappiness and inability to accept himself, described in the man's life, inspired me to realise the opposite: I DO want to be me! Very much so! and I do want to change the things I do not like, and learn things I wish to know.

Please enjoy this clip and it's insights and reflect on it (please click the link below, since embedding did not work for this vid) :-)

o_d

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXIWRan3XGY

No comments:

Post a Comment